Eric Jarrell is a Member in the New Orleans office of King & Jurgens and leads the environmental practice group. He works primarily in the fields of environmental law and regulation and commercial casualty, products liability, toxic tort and oil and chemical contamination and exposure litigation.
Eric has represented clients at the federal level before the Coast Guard, Environmental Protection Agency, OSHA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Corps of Engineers and Minerals Management Service. He has also represented clients before the Louisiana Departments of Environmental Quality and Natural Resources, the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. He has appeared in numerous state and federal courts in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas at both the appellate and trial level.
He is a frequent author and lecturer on environmental topics and was a co-author of the Louisiana Environmental Handbook. He has also been published in the Louisiana Bar Journal on environmental topics. For many years, Eric chaired the Executive Enterprises Environmental Regulation Course and co-chaired the Cambridge Institute seminar on Environmental Law in Louisiana.
Eric was born in Puyallup, Washington, and graduated from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge with a juris doctor degree in 1985 and a bachelor of science degree in zoology in 1982. While at LSU, he worked in the Environmental Studies and Sea Grant Legal Programs.
- Oilfield legacy litigation throughout northern and southern Louisiana
- Extensive experience handling both the regulatory requirements driving cleanups and enforcement actions and the science underlying the application of regulations
- Defense of individual suits, class actions and mass joinders alleging personal injury and property damage from oil and gas and chemical operations
- Defense of citizen's suits alleging state and federal environmental violations
- Prosecution and defense of permit actions
- Defense of state and federal agency enforcement actions
News & Appearances
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Section of Environmental Law
- Chair and Vice-chair, Louisiana Environmental Bar, 1998-2000
- Chair of Board of Trustees, Ursuline Academy, 2015-2017
and Member, 2012-2018, Chair of Institutional Advancement
- Elected Commissioner of Stonebridge Area Improvement District, 2016-2018
Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Rated (5.0 out of 5)
Best Lawyers' 2015 New Orleans Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year"
The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law, 2014-2021
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Notable Practioner, Environment, 2012-2013
Louisiana State University Law School, J.D., 1985
Louisiana State University, B.S., Zoology, 1982
Bar & Court Admissions
- Louisiana, 1985