“The attorneys at this firm are approachable and open
but also very serious about their work.”
Susan E. Dinneen
Susan Dinneen, a member in the New Orleans office of King & Jurgens, helps protect her insurance company clients against millions of dollars in losses every year by defending against fraudulent claims and bad faith allegations. Corporate counsel at some of the nation’s largest insurers retain Susan to handle their bad faith litigation and to manage and respond to institutional discovery requests in a manner that protects their proprietary information. Special Investigative Units partner with her to detect and fight fraud, which she accomplishes through creative use of the latest technology, social media and other investigative tools. Susan also litigates coverage disputes, and has handled hundreds of catastrophe/mass tort suits from multiple hurricanes. Susan believes in an aggressive and innovative approach to discovery and motion practice, is experienced trying both jury and bench trials, and has authored numerous appellate briefs in both state and federal court.
Susan is actively involved with civic organizations throughout New Orleans. She is a Louisiana Bar Foundation Fellow, is a board member and immediate past president of the Travelers Aid Society and is currently serving on the Board of Directors for the Junior League of New Orleans. She is additionally a member of the firm's Recruiting and Marketing Committees.
Originally from the Philadelphia area, Susan received her undergraduate degree from the University of Delaware and her J.D. from Tulane Law School. While at Tulane, she served as Associate Business Editor of the Tulane Maritime Law Journal.
- Obtained a zero verdict for insurer-client following a bench trial involving a first party claim for coverage for an alleged vehicle theft and burn, accompanied by claims for bad faith penalties and fees. Presented evidence and argued that the insured failed to meet the burden of proving a covered loss and, further, that the insured failed to cooperate with the insurer’s adjustment of the claim, and such failure to cooperate constituted a material and prejudicial breach of the insurance contract, voiding coverage and precluding a finding of bad faith. The bad faith claims were dismissed on summary judgment, and the contract claim was dismissed at trial.
- Obtained a zero verdict for insurer-client after a bench trial involving a first party claim for coverage for an alleged vehicle theft and burn, accompanied by claims for bad faith penalties and fees. The bad faith claims were dismissed on directed verdict, and the contract claim was dismissed based on the insured breaching the material misrepresentations clause of the applicable policy.
- Obtained a zero verdict for insurer-client in a significant UM and bad faith claim presented under a commercial policy following a five-day jury trial.
- Obtained summary judgment, affirmed by federal appellate court, in a breach of contract and bad faith case involving alleged theft of a large amount of personal property from a moving truck, and in the process, helped develop favorable case law relative to an insured’s breach of the policy’s cooperation clause.
- Appointed by a large insurance company as the single point of contact for coordinating institutional discovery in hurricane litigation.
- Obtained dismissal of bad faith claims and/or entire case on early creative motion practice and through summary judgment in multiple bad faith and coverage disputes.
PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- "How to Handle Catastrophic Claims" - Fifth Annual Bad Faith Claims & Litigation Strategies ExecuSummit - 2017
- "Intercompany Bad Faith Claims" - Fourth Annual Bad Faith Claims & Litigation Strategies ExecuSummit - 2016
- "Insurance Bad Faith 'Set-Up' in Louisiana" - National Business Institute CLE - 2016
- “Discovery in Bad Faith Insurance Litigation: Key to Successfully Proving or Defending Claims” – Strafford CLE Webinar – 2013, 2015, 2016
- "Discovery in Bad Faith Insurance Litigation” – Third Annual Bad Faith Claims & Litigation Strategies ExecuSummit - 2015
- "Best Practices for Avoiding Bad Faith During the Claims Handling Process" - Louisiana Claims Association's Educational Conference and Expo - 2015
- "Applying the Rules of Civil Procedure in Louisiana" - National Business Institute CLE - 2015
- “Property Bad Faith in Louisiana – Emerging Trends in Claims Handling & Litigation” – Louisiana Claims Association’s Educational Convention and Expo - 2013
- "Recent Developments in Bad Faith Law in the Gulf States" - American Conference Institute's 23rd National Advanced Forum on Bad Faith Litigation - 2012
- “Handling, Documenting & Defending an SIU Claim” – Insurer In-House Presentation – 2012
- "The Use of Cell Towers and Social Media in Claims Adjustments" – Insurer In-House Presentation - 2011
Honors & Recognition
- New Orleans CityBusiness "Women of the Year" List, 2016
- Associate Business Editor, Tulane Maritime Law Journal
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Girls on the Run New Orleans, Board of Directors
- Junior League of New Orleans
- Committee Chair, former Board Member
- Louisiana Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Travelers Aid Society, Board Member and Past President
- Youth Empowerment Project, 40 Under 40 2017 Cohort, 2018 Cohort