When a client hires me to handle litigation or other matters, he knows his work will be done by me. My goal in working with in-house counsel is to provide efficient representation, reducing outside counsel fees and in-house counsel time expended in litigation management.
Jack Jurgens joined the firm in March 1994 with a primary focus in the fields of commercial litigation, casualty/personal injury litigation, oil and gas litigation, and health care litigation. Jack's litigation practice has resulted in more than 30 favorable published opinions rendered by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Jack graduated from Louisiana State University in business administration and finance and was elected to Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, whose members comprise the top ten percent of the graduating class. Jack received his juris doctor in 1978 from LSU Law School, where he ranked in the top ten percent of his class, was elected to the Order of the Coif, and was a member of the Moot Court Board. He has practiced law for over 35 years.
- Defended oil company from death claim brought by survivors of employee of P&A contractor. First compelled contractor to indemnify and defend oil company and reimburse incurred defense costs. Then was hired by contractor to continue defense of oil company. Thereafter defeated plaintiff's claims via summary judgment that was recently affirmed by U.S. Fifth Circuit.
- Successfully defended oil field contractor against $500 million claim brought by an oil company in connection with the failed installation of massive tension leg platform.
- Successfully represented oil company operators in the recovery of P&A expenses from non-operators and from assignees in situations where P&A must be performed post-assignment
- Successfully represented oil company operators in various joint interest billing disputes with non-operators
- Successfully represented oil companies in the recovery of hurricane damage to facilities located on the OCS and state waters
- Successfully represented numerous national oil companies in various litigation matters determining the scope, applicability, and enforceability of contractual indemnity provisions within master service agreements, vessel charters, and operating agreements
- Successfully represented a national hospital corporation in a multi-million dollar dispute with a long-term acute care facility which raised STARK issues in an effort to avoid making contractual payments
- Successfully represented numerous national oil companies and contractors in litigation matters determining the parameters of tort liability in Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) operations
- Successfully represented a national oil company in the multi-million dollar recovery of platform damages caused by a vessel allision during a tropical storm, defeating Act of God defense
- Successfully represented a national oil company in the recovery of a non-operating partners' share of plug and abandonment expenses
- Successfully represented national oil companies and contractors in litigation emanating from an oil and gas well blow out
News & Appearances
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Rated (5.0 out of 5)
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2021, Admiralty and Maritime Law, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, Energy and Resources, 2016-2021
- New Orleans CityBusiness "Leadership in Law" List, 2014
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Louisiana State University Law School, J.D., 1978
Louisiana State University, B.S., business administration & finance
Bar & Court Admissions