When the client is really informed, there should be no surprises.
Bob Burvant uses his wide array of experience as a commercial litigator for over 30 years to assist clients in achieving their objectives. His primary focus is in the areas of banking and bankruptcy, business, and construction litigation. He also has significant experience in shareholder and director/officer disputes, succession litigation, maritime commercial litigation, commercial lease and property disputes, state tax litigation and oilfield legacy litigation.
In the banking industry, Bob has represented local banks in a variety of matters, including lender liability suits and bankruptcy proceedings initiated by borrowers. Bob's bankruptcy practice also focuses on defending creditors against preference actions and other challenged transfers. Bob has also successfully partnered with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to investigate and bring claims relating to a number of failed financial institutions, with litigation matters in Louisiana, Kentucky, California, Maryland and South Carolina.
In the construction area, Bob has represented owners, general contractors and subs on a number of multi-million dollar projects, including restaurants, public buildings, vessels and hotels. He has successfully defended clients in arbitrations and civil court proceedings on construction contract disputes and lien disputes.
Bob considers honest and open communication to be a cornerstone of his practice. "Clients know I'll give them a true assessment of their risks,” he says, “and not when it's too late to achieve their best result."
- Successfully represented multiple clients as defendants in construction arbitrations in the past 10 years, including a counterclaim award exceeding $450,000
- Represented the Federal Deposit Insurance Agency in failed bank litigation resulting in favorable settlements of over $20 million
- Successfully defended a client in a state sales tax dispute, obtaining $0 judgment from the court after trial
- Obtained judgment of dismissal on writ for mandamus for wrongfully filed construction lien
- Successfully defended a local bank in claims based on a stockbroker’s Ponzi scheme
- Obtained funds of several million dollars as judgment creditor through seizure and settlement under a corporate veil theory of recovery
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Louisiana Sales Tax Audits, co-presenter for Offshore Marine Service Association (OMSA) Legal Forum, 2018
News & Appearances
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana Bankers Association, Bank Counsel Section
Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Peer-Review Rated (5.0 out of 5)
The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2018-2020
Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
Phi Beta Kappa
Tulane University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1984
Louisiana State University, B.A., English, 1981
Bar & Court Admissions
- Louisiana, 1984
- Texas, 2001
- All Federal District Courts in Louisiana
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
- U.S. Supreme Court