Our goals are the same as the clients' goals: Always achieve good results in the most efficient and cost-effective manner as possible.
Len Brignac primarily counsels and represents businesses in various commercial disputes and transactions. He has extensive knowledge and experience in a wide range of business matters, including intellectual property, employment, insurance, and construction law.
Intellectual Property Law
Len is a registered patent attorney who handles patent preparation, filing, and prosecution before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. He also handles trademark and copyright registration, trade secret protection, patent and trademark licensing, technology transfers, and infringement claims and defenses. He represents owners of intellectual property to obtain injunctive relief and damages. He is the former Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association.
Len assists businesses with employment law compliance, such as disability, race, sex, age, religion, and national origin discrimination claims and wrongful discharge claims. He has extensive experience with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and sexual harassment claims. He also represents businesses in employment policies review, on-site training, employment agreements, separation agreements, and employee handbook preparation and review.
Len has represented companies in connection with insurance coverage disputes, claims, and insurance contract issues. He has successfully represented numerous businesses in the successful recovery of property damages and business interruption claims.
Len has experience in all aspects of construction law and litigation. He has worked with his clients to review and prepare construction contracts to seek to eliminate legal problems and delays. In connection with construction disputes, Len has successfully litigated and arbitrated construction claims.
- Represented a patent owner in defense of a declaratory judgment and in asserting patent infringement claims relating to the method and apparatus of oil and gas fracturing operations (Energy Heating, L.L.C., et al. v. Heat On-The-Fly, L.L.C., et al.)
- Prosecuted copyright infringement claims relating to educational materials in the Eastern District of Louisiana and obtained a successful settlement of the case (Dantonio v. Southwest Educational Development)
- Represented a business owner in disputes relating to patent and trademark rights and ownership in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Woolf v. Elegant Cords, L.L.C.)
- Defense of claims of patent infringement (Watershed, L.L.C., et al. v. ROC Gear, Inc., et al.)
- Copyright infringement litigation (Landry v. Atlantic Recording Corp.)
- Handled a trademark/tradename dispute (Roundgrille, Inc. v. Copeland, et al.)
- Copyright infringement (Briggs Medical Service Company v. Amedisys, Inc.)
- Defense of patent infringement claims (Frank's Casing Crew & Rental Tools, Inc. v. PMR Technologies, Ltd.)
- Trade secrets dispute (Friede & Goldman, Ltd. v. Bennett, et al.)
- Represented in defense of an employer in the Western District of Louisiana (Hodges v. First Choice Armor, et al.)
- Represented an employer in a wage dispute (Kevin Parkins v. Total Sleep Holding, Inc.)
- Defended an employer against race discrimination claims in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Harrison v. Treuting, et al.)
- Defended an employer against sexual harassment claims in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Savoie v. Seacraft Shipyard)
- Defended an employer against an ADA claim in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Martin v. Copeland's of New Orleans, Inc.)
- Defended an employer against a race discrimination claim in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Sheppard v. Diversified Foods)
- Defended an employer against race and age discrimination claims in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Hembree v. DynMcDermott)
- Defended an employer against a race discrimination claim in Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans (Doby v. Copeland's)
- Represented a business owner for the recovery of business interruption in United States District Court for the Northern District of Louisiana (Baton Rouge Duplicating Products, Inc. v. The Travelers Indemnity Company)
- Represented numerous business entities in disputes with a construction company (Interstate Restoration Group v. Al Copeland Investments)
- Breach of contract and collections commercial litigation (Al Copeland Investments, Inc. v. Fontainebleau Resorts, L.L.C.)
- Handled a contract and products liability matter in the Eastern District of Louisiana (Diversified Foods and Seasonings, Inc. v. Basic Food Flavors, Inc., et al.)
- Construction dispute (CCB of Bossier City, L.L.C. v. Devier Const., L.L.C.)
- Handled an environmental matter in the Middle District of Louisiana (Giauque v. Clean Harbors Plaquemine, L.L.C.)
- Handled property contamination claims and a torts to land matter in the Middle District of Louisiana (Cassels, et al. v. Wilsonhart International, Inc., et al.)
- Defense of mass injury toxic torts and personal injury claims in the Eastern District of Louisiana (LaFrance, et al. v. Chevron Oronite Co., et al.)
- Handled a landlord/tenant lease dispute in D.C.La. (Thomas Jefferson Construction Corporation v. Copeland's of New Orleans, Inc.)
- Handled numerous insurance coverage disputes, including:
- Diversified Foods & Seasonings, Inc. v. Lexington Insurance Co.
- Boutique Hotels, Inc. v. Zurich American Insurance Co.
- Gulf Ventures Associates v. Zurich Insurance Company
- Folsom Corporation, et al. v. Travelers Indemnity Company
- Al Copeland Investments, Inc., et al. v. Lexington Insurance Company, et al.
- Premiere, Inc. v. Commercial Underwriters Ins. Co.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Hot Topics in Hospitality Law" - University of New Orleans, 2014
- "Protect Your Assets: IP Law 101 for Entrepreneurs" - The Idea Village's IDEAinstitute - 2012, 2013
- "Workers' Compensation & HIPAA - Protecting Your Claimant's Data and Company's Liability" - National Shipbuilding Research Program - 2012
- "Avoiding Problems in Employment Terminations and Hiring" - Client In-House Seminar
- "Avoiding Sexual Harassment in the Workplace" - Client In-House Seminar
News & Appearances
Professional & Community Affiliations
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Past Chair
- Florida Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
Martindale-Hubbell AV-Preeminent Rated (5.0 out of 5)
The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation-Intellectual Property, 2018-2020
Tulane University, J.D., cum laude, 1987
Louisiana State University, B.S., microbiology, 1983
Bar & Court Admissions