Joanne Mantis is an admiralty and maritime attorney focused on maritime business disputes and financial transactions. Her experience includes charter party disputes, cargo claims, vessel finance and documentation, collisions, allisions, marine casualties, maritime employment, criminal matters (crew homicide) and cargo explosions.
Joanne represents a variety of clients within the marine industry: vessel owners, operators, managers, brokers, and charterers; logistics providers and offshore companies; terminal facilities, port authorities, and offshore oil and gas interests. She also worked on the BP oil spill litigation representing several governmental entities and reaching favorable settlements.
She advises clients concerning special laws and regulations that affect maritime business and financial transactions, and provides legal counsel in
- negotiating, structuring, and documenting maritime financial and business transactions, and
- addressing related tax, regulatory and insurance issues.
She works both domestically and internationally for clients, and has been involved with matters in both state and federal courts, as well as in Greek courts. She is a former City Magistrate Judge for the city of Harahan, Louisiana, and is currently the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Cyprus for Louisiana.
Joanne also represents municipal and government entities in contracts and claims. She is admitted to practice law in Greece, and has been involved with mediation in London and the U.S. A multilingual attorney, in addition to English, Joanne speaks, reads, and writes Greek and is fluent in French. She returned to the firm’s New Orleans office in October of 2011 after working in Athens, Greece, in an affiliate office of the firm.
Joanne was admitted to the Louisiana Bar in 1995 and the Greek Bar in 1999. She graduated from Tulane University Law School in 1994 where she received a certificate in admiralty law. While in law school, she was a member of the Maritime Law Society, and she served as vice president of her senior class. She obtained her Bachelor of Arts from Tulane University in 1991.
News & Appearances
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Athens Bar Association, Greece
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- New Orleans Bar Association
- New Orleans Opera Association Women's Guild, Executive Board Member and President
- Propeller Club of New Orleans
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association
"Offshore Winds" Marine & Energy Law Blog Posts
- International Maritime Organization Reaches Deal to Cut Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Ships, 09.21.2018
- Greek Shipowners Extend Voluntary Tax, 07.05.2017
- Greek Shipowners Consider Exodus as Crisis Leads to Proposed Higher Taxes, 01.27.2016
- Greece Initiates Offshore Oil and Gas Tender Process, 10.06.2014
- Greek Tonnage Tax Imposed on Foreign-Flagged Vessels, 09.24.2013
New Orleans CityBusiness "Leadership in Law" List, 2017
Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1994
Tulane University, B.A., 1991
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals